If you have wondered who seeks treatment from a chiropractic center, you may be surprised to learn that a many of my patients are athletes. Experts estimate that 90 percent of world-class athletes visit a chiropractor during the course of their sports careers for treatment of sports injuries, relief from pain, and an overall tuning of their bodies.
Chiropractic adjustments can help treat athletes in high-impact sports, such as wrestling, football, and hockey. The latter place the same amount of strain on the body as an auto collision! Chiropractic care can also help athletes in low-impact sports, such as golf, tennis, and bowling. Athletes who consult a chiropractor on a regular basis, notice improved performance, improved range of motion, better flexibility, increased blood flow, and fewer injuries. In this article, we’ll talk about the different ways that chiropractic care benefits athletes…
- It helps relieve the strain caused by strenuous exercises: Most athletes subject their bodies to high levels of physical stress due to the strenuous sports they play. They also endure lots of muscle and body pains. Many of them suffer from spinal pains. However, chiropractic care is especially suited to treating these conditions and can relieve the strain and pain that many athletes go through.
- It treats various injuries: Chiropractic care helps various injuries caused by playing different sports. It does this by helping the muscles to relax and restoring proper function to the joints. It can also enhance proper blood circulation and nerve function. Chiropractic care focuses on gentle spinal adjustments to treat headaches, spinal pain, and extremity pains. It is important that athletes visit their chiropractor for treatment of these injuries on a regular basis.
- It is non-invasive and drug-free: Chiropractic care being non-invasive and drug-free, makes it congruent for athletes who are looking for peak performance from their bodies. Drug side effects are thus avoided as well.
- It prevents injuries and enhances performance: Since chiropractic care is all about improving function, it also can prevent injuries from taking place. By having the proper joint and muscle balance your body will work more efficiently and smoothly. This puts less stress on the various parts. It would be somewhat similar to putting lubricant on a bicycle chain and gears so that you don’t have to pedal as hard.
- It reduces pain: Once you restore function to an injured area it no longer has to cry out in pain.
- It causes relaxation: With function restored, the muscle can relax. Much muscle tension is due to the muscles trying to protect an area or from over-working when the body is out of balance. You receive these benefits without taking muscle relaxers and thus avoid their potential side effects.
- It increases strength: Studies show that athletes who use chiropractic care are stronger than those who do not. Also, with strength and performance being practically synonymous, your chiropractor will help you to increase both strength and endurance.
- It promotes faster healing: Misalignments throughout the body can slow down healing. When athletes are injured, their bodies try to protect themselves with muscle spasms and inflammation. This greatly increases the time that it takes for the athlete to recover and get back into the field. Chiropractic care and adjustments speed up the recovery process of your muscles.
Chiropractic care can help athletes with their existing injuries, as well as help build strength and endurance. At Nelson Chiropractic, we treat many types of sports injuries and work with athletes to come up with a holistic treatment plan depending on each patient’s unique body type and the sport that they play.
So, should you visit a chiropractor if you are an athlete? Studies suggest that you should.